Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I help my dog adjust to a new puppy?

We have a 6-year old toy poodle and we're planning on adding a shihtzu puppy to the family in the next month. Our dog is, well, really spoiled and always has our attention, and we're worried that she'll be really agressive toward the new dog. How can we prepare her to adjust, and what can we do once we finally bring the puppy home?How can I help my dog adjust to a new puppy?We had the same problem when we were introducing my puppy Rocky to our REALLY old dog. You might have to start going over friends houses that have dogs and letting your dog interact with them before bringing the puppy home. Or asking your friends if they could come over with their dogs.



When bringing the puppy home make sure that they don't get too close at first. Make sure you still give your poodle heaps of attention because the older dogs do get jealous of the younger ones. Don't be afraid or scared for the new puppy if your poodle starts to bark at your new puppy. It's just letting the puppy know that it is boss. This will happen for up to a year after the puppy is introduced. Eventually they will warm up to each other.



I just love dogs



hope my info helps alotHow can I help my dog adjust to a new puppy?That's a Good Idea but most dogs can be aggressive in the home environment, try bringing your dog to meet pup you want. If you go to visit the puppy bring some towels to familiarize it with your poodle, or the oppositeHow can I help my dog adjust to a new puppy?i found that bringing my old dog to meet the puppy wasa the best. they met and came home together in the car and all worked out great. they still had to adjust to each other but it was ok. another eg. is my nephew brought his new puppy over to my house and the older dog peeded on my carpet. NEVER NEVER since she was a puppy

No comments:

Post a Comment