Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?

I have a garage door on my garage, but it's very heavy. There is a large spring to balance it, but I don't know how to adjust it. How can I make it easier to open and close?How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?remove the spring with the garage door in the open (up) position. be sure to prop the door up beforehand so the door doesn't automatically drop down on you. you can add steel rings to make it longer, or purchase a longer spring. it's pretty easy job once you try it slow and safe.How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?Personally, if your not really mechanically inclined,I would hire someone to do it.Those springs store an amazing amount of energy.I am definitely not knocking your intelligence,just saying be very careful.I have a good buddy that got his hand broke in one of those things when it decided to cut loose.Best of luck.How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?If you have not been trained or know exactly how your systems works, DON'T TRY IT!

Things will go wrong very fast and there is a potential for death.

That being said, even if you adjusted the door, if not done properly will ruin your door opener, and you will have a poorly operating door to deal with, not very convenient.

Springs get weak towards the end of their life expectancy. If you springs are more than 8 years old and and losing power, have them replaced. Most companies change spring for a flat rate, cheaper than an emergency repair.How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?I am a do it yourselfer myself, but I stress the importance of having a professional do it. These springs are very powerful and can hurt you. Too much adjustment and you can break the spring and it could definitley hurt you. Leave it to the professionals.How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?Depends on what type of spring system you have!!How do I adjust the spring tension on a garage door?DON'T- DON'T- DON'T It could cripple or kill you. Your spring tension didn't change . Look for a jammed roller or track allignment. Call a professional if those are not the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment